Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Divine nature of an otherwise sinful experience...



The number two person on my list of people I would like to meet in the world is the quirky food scientist Alton Brown (number one is found on a way back post). I am a true devotee of his show and viciously chew through episodes on my tivo. However Mr. Brown's groundbreaking food show is not the subject of this post but rather the muse which lead to the inspiration.

The show was about espresso and I was hooked. From the first time I sipped a perfectly pulled shot at a nameless cafe in Vienna I knew something so complex, mysterious, and electrifying could only have it's origins firmly in the underworld. Anyone who talks about any coffee product for more than two minutes has to mention at minimum a latent caffeine addiction and addictions are wrong...right?

I began to ponder the process that espresso goes through to end up in a glass and I noticed something very familiar...my journey with God.

At the risk of sounding like a covert shill for Starbucks bear with me;
Here is the process:

-Beans are chosen ( a point of contention among my more arminian friends)
-Ground to a fine mist
-Next the grounds are compressed into a tight little form known as a puck
-Finally massive amounts of water pressure push what is considered usable through excruciatingly small holes until the dark elixir is ready for it's intended use.

I suppose this is the process that God uses to expose what is complex, mysterious, and electrifying in us.

The next shot is on me.

1 comment:

RenderingRisch said...

Reason #564 as to why I'm glad you married my friend: You managed to correlate election, espresso, and spiritual growth into the same blog.