Monday, February 4, 2008

Child birth has nothin on me!!!



I had my first ever stay in the ER about two weeks ago, which has been the reason for the absence of activity on this site. It all started when I was in line with my family for the Finding Nemo submarine adventure at Disneyland (yes we got our annual passes), I noticed a faint nagging pain in the lower part of my stomach that had refused to go away even after several coaxing attempts in various restrooms throughout the park. The pain continued to escalate to the point that I asked my wife if we could leave the park early and head home (we had already spent the last day and a half there). On the way home what started as a slight pain blew up into what I firmly consider God's Holy Wrath on my intestinal system.

We get into the car and my wife drives like mad. It took us a little more than three hours to get from Anaheim to Fresno, to give you an idea. All along the way we are calling anyone and everyone we know that has any medical background to diagnose what has to be a demon forming inside of me. We also coordinated a parental pickup of our son so that I could be ushered directly to the ER with no additional stopping.

If I had thought that the drive home was long then I was wholly unprepared for what was in store for me in the ER; Six and a half hours of sitting in a chair watching bad (I mean really bad) television and watching everyone get seen before me. Finally when Julie bugged the triage nurse a third time they put me into a room and I prepared for the worst.

it is now 1:30 am and they set up an IV and start pumping some painkillers into my system. Then I go for and X-ray, CT scan, and three doctors come by to poke at my sore spot (not fun). About two hours later we get the diagnosis:

Diverticulitis

If you haven't heard of it that is probably because you are under the age of 60. Yes that is correct I now have an old man condition. I always thought I was a bit mature for my age but this is a little extreme. So far I have gotten advice from a my wife's grandparents and a couple of their ilk. The only token I have beside some looming medical expenditure is that fact that several sources (including mothers) have confirmed that Diverticulitis is more painful than child birth.

Lucky me.

2 comments:

Hale-Yeah! said...

That sucks man. I've heard of that before, but I don't really know what it is.

Curt said...

Geez man, that sucks! You need to start taking care your old self. I always had a funny feeling when you were doing your "Cleanses" that it wasn't a good idea. Maybe I was right :)